A Good Yarn

Friday, September 21, 2007

Music Meme and more yarn

I started a new project, but I'm not very far into it, so I'm going to wait to post about it until I can post a nice picture. I finished the body of the Tomato sweater and I'm very happy with how it came out. I picked up around the neck for the neckband. I had 10 more stitches across the front than the pattern called for, so I decreased some of them in the first row. Hopefully that will draw it in and make it a little less revealing than it has been in my progress photos, without looking all gathered up and weird. Pictures of that after I finish the neckline. Second Pineapple sock has been started, but it looks exactly like the first, so that's boring. So, let's come clean on another yarn purchase. Some of us in one of my knitting groups decided to jump on the bandwagon and go in together on an order of Kauni yarn. It's gorgeous!



You can see some of the darker blue and red peeking through in the middle of the upright skeins. I think I'll make the standard Kauni cardigan, since I love the geometry of it. Those horizontal stripes and the boxy construction aren't going to be super flattering on me, but I still think it'll be a fun knit.

That's about it around here. I'm serving beer tonight at the Minnesota Music Festival. I'm volunteering on behalf of the Irish Faire. If you're there, stop by and say hi to me. One of my favorite bands, Soul Asylum, is playing. I'm hoping I might be able to catch the end of their set when I'm done.

Speaking of favorite bands, since I don't have a lot else, today, I thought I'd post this meme I got from Susan's site. Here's what you do: Copy this list; leave in the bands you’ve seen perform live; delete the ones you haven’t, and add new ones that you have seen until you reach 25. An asterisk means the previous person had it on their list. Two asterisks means the last two people who did this before you had that band on their list.

1. New Order* I saw them in 1989 with Public image Limited and the Sugarcubes with my brother. We were there mostly to see PiL, but I liked New Order pretty well. We left early during the Sugarcubes, show, though. I'm not a huge Bjork fan.

2. Sha Na Na* I can't remember where I saw them, but I remember it was outdoors. Like Susan, I have strong memories of Sha Na Na from my childhood.

3. Public Image Limited* See #1 above.

4. The Violent Femmes* They're from Wisconsin, so I've seen them a few different times - at outdoor festivals, at First Avenue, but my favorite was the time I saw them at Target Center in September, 2005. I posted about it here, so long time readers may remember. It was a fundraiser for Katrina victims that had been put together at the last minute. The Femmes were the headliners and Cowboy Mouth were also supposed to play, so Greg and I decided to go. Cowboy Mouth couldn't make it, so Dave Pirner from Soul Asylum stepped in. There were only a couple of hundred people at the show, so even though it was in this huge arena, it felt like a small, intimate show.

5. Bruce Springsteen - I've seen him a few times, alone and with the E Street Band. I think my favorite is the first time I saw him with the E Street band. They all just seemed so happy to be together and playing again. I had obstructed view seats behind the stage, but it was an open stage, so I could see everything perfectly well. It was November so he sang "Santa Claus is Coming to Town" and threw candy canes into the crowd and I got one, which I still have. Bruce and the E Street Band are coming back this fall and I just got tickets this morning - can't wait!!

6. U2 - I'm a little bitter about U2 because on their last tour I just missed getting tickets because I was behind a scalper who was there with his wife and kids and each of them bought 8 tickets. Oh, I was so mad! But, I've seen a few different U2 shows and they're always entertaining and big.

7. Pearl Jam - I've seen them a few times. The first time I saw them was 9 years ago in 1998 at Target Center. I was kind of glad I didn't have fantastic seats because I loved the show and Eddie Vedder so much that I think if I had been close up, I might have quit my job and just followed them around for the rest of the tour.

8. Paul McCartney - I've seen Sir Paul twice now. The first time I just wanted to see him because he's the cute Beatle for goodness sake! I was absolutely blown away by the show, though. That man has written some amazing music. So even though he charges a ton for tickets, I jumped at the chance to see him again.

9. Paul Simon - Speaking of amazing songwriters, I've seen Paul Simon both alone and with Artie Garfunkel. I'm continually amazed at his way with words and the way he explores all facets of music.

10. Green Day - I don't know what took me so long to list Green Day. I've seen them a few times and every time it's fantastic. They rock hard, they care about the country and they're sexy. What else do you want?

11. Fleetwood Mac - I saw them once at the X. It was one of those things where my friend wanted to go, so I thought what the heck. I'm so glad I did. I forgot how much great music they made. And Lindsey Buckingham is one sexy man.

12. Soul Asylum - Duh. That's who I started this thing talking about. They're local, so of course I've seen them quite a few times. I can't help but get happy and sad whenever I hear them play. And even though Dave Pirner needs to brush his hair most of the time and usually looks like he could use a shower, he's always very sexy.

13. Sting - Speaking of sexy. Oh, boy. Most of the times I've seen him in concert, he's wearing a vest with no shirt underneath. Oh, those biceps. As you may recall, I also saw him with The Police.

14. Harry Connick, Jr. - Always charming, always sexy, always fascinating. His piano playing is marvelous, but I could just get lost in his voice.

15. The Smithereens - Some of you may not remember this group who never really hit it big. They had a few big hits in the 80s. I've seen them in concert quite a few times - they used to tour a lot in the 80s and 90s. I just love their music and they always put on a great show. I haven't seen them in a while, so I'd love to see them again.

16. David Bowie - I've seen him a couple of times. The first time was at Metrodome of all places. It was in 86 or 87, so he was still pretty big off of Let's Dance and Tonight. In high school I just worshipped him - in fact one of my senior pictures was me with a David Bowie poster. So shortly after I moved up here to the big city Bowie was in concert and I was thrilled. I saved up my money to go to the show - it was my first time in Metrodome. It was a big spectacle of a show and I loved it.

17. Counting Crows - I've seen them a few times too, and a lot of the time it just hasn't worked out well. Last time I mentioned that they played a weird mix of songs. The time before that was at the Basilica Block Party and it was so crowded, I was just very unhappy about being pushed and shoved. I'm still a huge fan of their music, though and I'll probably pick up the new album.

18. R.E.M. - Another band I always look forward to seeing. They always play a good mix of stuff from throughout their career. The most memorable time I saw them was at Midway Stadium, where our minor league baseball team plays. At the very end of the show, it started raining a torrential downpour. I was so wet by the time we got to the car. It was all worth it, though. The next time they were in town, they mentioned it, so it was memorable for them, too.

19. Tom Petty - I've seen him a couple of times, now, I think only at the X. I wasn't a big fan when he was really popular, but I dated a guy who loved him and you know how you sort of start to catch on to things when you're dating someone? I went to see him the first time because my friend is a big fan and it was such a great show, I'll always make an effort to see him if he's in town.

20. Bonnie Raitt - She's one of the coolest women on the planet. Just love her shows. She usually plays my favorite of her songs, You Can't Make Me Love You" toward the end of her shows. One time we saw her at the fair and this woman next to me took a cell phone call just as Bonnie starts this song. She sings it with so much soul your heart just breaks - I couldn't believe this idiotic woman could talk on the cell during something like that. Good thing I'm not a violent person.

21. Prince - Even though he's the Godfather of Minnesota Music and I love him, I've only seen him once. It was a fantastic show at the X - he played all his old music, some great newer stuff, awesome show.

22. Lyle Lovett - I've seen him a couple of times and it seems like we've had some really good seats for his shows. He's always so dry and funny and his songs are great. My favorite show was probably that show at the State Fair with Bonnie Raitt that I was just talking about.

23. Robert Randolph & The Family Band - I saw these guys opening for Eric Clapton at the X. I'm listing them instead of Clapton because Clapton was ok, but RR was AMAZING. Such an amazing musician, fantastic energy. I would love to see them again.

24. Bob Schneider - Bob is a musician from Texas. He plays sort of straight forward rock n roll, with really smart and funny lyrics. He's pretty good looking and he puts on a good show. I've seen him a few times - I like the vibe of his outdoors summer shows the best. He's been playing at The Fine Line most of the time he's been in town lately and I'm not that fond of that place.

25. Cowboy Mouth - And of course, I had to save the best for last. My favorite live band. I've seen them probably about 6 or 8 times now and every single show is so much fun. The music is great, the band is awesome. I'm hoping they'll play another outdoor free event again so that I can convince some of y'all to come out and see them.

So, that's my 25. There are a bunch more that I've seen once, but I tried to pick shows that I liked so much I'd come back again and again. Just for fun, do the meme yourself and then let me know, so I can see how much overlap we have!

Labels: ,