A Good Yarn

Saturday, June 10, 2006

WW KIP Day

Thanks so much to everyone who sent me good wishes after my last post. It's really so helpful to talk to people about him.

As you may know, today is World Wide Knit in Public (KIP) day. This site shows a get together up in Blaine, if you're interested in participating. Chris and I are also getting together in Minneapolis at The Bad Waitress at 26th and Nicollet at 11:00 a.m. if you're interested in joining us.

I fear I'm moving into disaster territory on Nora, the green cabled sweater. I only have 2 skeins left for the sleeves and I'm pretty sure they each will take more than one skein. I thought maybe I'd just make them shorter, but now I think I'm going to have to break into one of them to finish the second front. So, if you bought some Berroco Cotton Twist in color 8360 from Elann and would like to share, please let me know. This is a discontinued color, though I have located a couple of shops online that claim to have some in stock. After I know how many skeins I'll really need, I will start calling them.

I've done a bit of reading, too. I had a trial on Monday and while the mom and dad were negotiating a settlement, I had a lot of time to just sit and wait. So I finished up the e-book on my Palm:



I'm a big Michael Moore fan, so I enjoyed this book. However, a lot of it is the same stuff that's in "Fahrenheit 9/11", so it's impact wasn't probably as great as it would have been if I'd read it first. There are also a lot of things in there about not re-electing GWB which are now a moot point, obviously. It was pretty funny to read about how Bush's high approval ratings were a mirage - that turned out to be very true. My guess is if you're a hard-core Michael Moore fan you've already read this and if you're not, it's probably a little too dated.

I also forgot to post about my last book club book:



Loved this book! It's so well written and really pulls you into the story. It's about Sir Arthur Conan Doyle and George Edalji, a man of Indian descent who is accused of mutilating farm animals. It's based on a true story. Sir Arthur took up Mr. Edalji's case and as a result appeals courts were formed in England. It's a pretty significant case, though not so well known. The book creates the childhoods and private lives of Arthur and George. The book alternates between being narrated by Arthur and George and each character's voice is so real and well-defined. The scene of George's trial is just priceless. My only quibble is that at the very end, the author really ties up all the loose ends of what happens to the characters later in life and it feels a bit rushed and a bit too tidy. It's definitely worth reading, though.

I have book club again tomorrow, but I haven't finished our current selection. I'll post a review of that book once I do finish.