A Good Yarn

Thursday, June 15, 2006

Another Busy Week

I've had 3 weeks of constant busy-ness at work, which hopefully is wrapping up today. I've had a bit of time to read some blogs, but I'm behind again. I always have a difficult time trying to decide whether to blog myself or read other people's blogs, when time is limited.



I had a great time with Chris KIPing on WWKIP Day. I started work on a June Project Spectrum project, the Ruffles scarf in the Debbie Bliss Pure Silk:



I didn't get that all done on Saturday - I also worked on it at my knitting group last night. It's pretty gray today, so the flash went off and overexposed it a bit, but it is a very pretty color of blue and the silk is heavenly soft to work with. You may be able ot see that it's already got a soft halo of fuzz around it - it's going to look worn pretty darn quick. The stitches are also uneven because this is all short rows, so they get stretched a bit with the wrapping and such. I'll definitely finish it up and wear it though - it'll feel so nice around my neck!

I've also done my June Papercraft:



Blue cards for my dad and my grandpa for Father's Day. I think they turned out pretty well. While I had my supplies out, I also made a graduation card in non-PS red and black:



On Sunday, I went to see this guy:



Bruce is on his Seeger Sessions tour - a real departure for him. He's playing with a 16 piece band that creates a huge sound. They're mostly playing songs from the Seeger Sessions album, all covers of Pete Seeger songs. So, the music was sort of folksy, but really intense. It's not my favorite genre of music, but I really enjoyed the show. The upbeat songs were really high energy and totally fun. The more quiet songs were very intense. He played a few old Springsteen songs, including one of my favorites, Atlantic City. I have to admit that I prefer the rocking version of that song, but you have to admire his ability to re-invent his songs into a whole new genre and feel - like he's done with Born in the USA on his acoustic tours.

Bruce seemed just incredibly happy and having so much fun, so you couldn't help but get caught up in it. I was really hung over from drinking too much at a wedding the night before, but I couldn't help but dance along and enjoy myself. I think if I had been feeling better, I probably would have enjoyed it even more. We had tickets on the floor, so I probably would have tried to work my way through the crush toward the front too, but I couldn't bear to do that in my state. It was a great show, though, and I hope he comes through town with it again. He's played the Twin Cities quite a few times over the last few years. Here's the set list for anyone that's interested - I know I don't have the order exactly right, but these are the songs:

O Mary Don't You Weep
John Henry
Atlantic City
Old Dan Tucker
Eyes on the Prize
Johnny 99
Jesse James
Erie Canal
Long Black Veil
My Oklahoma Home
Mrs. McGrath
How Can a Poor Man Stand Such Times and Live?
Jacob's Ladder
We Shall Overcome
Open All Night
Pay Me My Money Down
Bring Them Home (If You Love Your Uncle Sam)
Rag Mama Rag
You Can Look (But You Better Not Touch)
When the Saints Go Marching In
Buffalo Gals