A Good Yarn

Saturday, October 01, 2005

More Fun

Last Sunday was fun, finally!



It seems like it's going to be a long season, but at least I got to see one win.

After the game, Greg and I went to a concert to benefit victims of Hurricane Katrina. One of my favorite bands, Cowboy Mouth, who is from New Orleans, was scheduled to play, but they had to cancel due to one of the band members' mother dying. This guy stepped in for them:



That's Dave Pirner, mostly known as the lead singer of Soul Asylum and former boyfriend of Winona Ryder (post-Johnny Depp and pre-shoplifting). Dave's from Minneapolis, but he lives in New Orleans now. The played mostly his solo work, but Dan Murphy from Soul Asylum joined him onstage for a couple of Soul Asylum classics. The headliners were these guys:



That's the Violent Femmes. There were also a few other bands playing earlier, but we decided to get the kids and go out to dinner before going to the concert, which was held at Target Center. It was one of the weirdest concerts I've ever been to. It was all thrown together in just a couple of days. They had Target Center draped off into a smaller venue, as they routinely do for smaller shows. However, when we arrived during a set by The Some-Burbs (members of The Suburbs, but not everyone), there were about 100 people there. It was sparse, man. It was like being in a nightclub, but you're in this big arena. It was really fun, though. It gave the evening an intimate feeling, because you're right there in front of the stage (or at least we were) and when the bands spoke, they spoke right to the audience. Of course, this gave some chowders the license to be obnoxious and yell stuff out, but I guess that happens at large shows too. I think the low turnout was due to the lack of time to promote the show because the Violent Femmes played at First Avenue a few weeks back and that show sold out, so I know there are a lot of fans around here still. It was a good show and I'm glad I went. They said they raised over $20,000 that evening, though I'm not exactly sure how.

Monday I received some yarn in the mail. I traded Nyxxie my leftover Berella Muskoka from Mariah for some Knit Picks Shine.



It's a really nice, soft yarn. I want to make some sort of shell/tank out of it. Of course, it's turning cold around these parts (although we're having a final summer-like weekend this weekend), so I'll probably wait until spring for that.

Wednesday night I attended another concert:



Harry Connick, Jr. played piano and Branford Marsalis played sax. It was a fun night. You could tell these guys just loved playing together and they're obviously two of the top jazz musicians today. I missed Harry's singing, but he promised he'd be back. As always, he was charming and witty between songs. It hardly seems fair that one man could be so handsome, so talented, so debonaire, so wealthy and successful. And he's been married to a Victoria's Secret model for years and has a nice family. Connick and Marsalis are chairs of a Habitat for Humanity project to rebuild their home town of New Orleans.