A Good Yarn

Wednesday, September 28, 2005

Fo!

I did finish up Mariah and it's an FO! I sewed in the zipper, doing most of the work at SNB last week. It was very time consuming, so I'm glad I was somewhat distracted while working on it. I'm pretty happy with how it came out - especially considering I'd never put in a zipper before. I want to thank Stephanie for the awesome instructions for installing a zipper. I don't think I could have done this without them. The color on this is hideous - I'm not sure what happened, but here's what it looks like:



It was not that bright on the camera or in photoshop, but when I posted it to the web, all of a sudden I need sunglasses. I'm too lazy to adjust the picture, so you'll have to deal with it. As you can see, the zipper is pretty much invisible in the seam. When it's zipped closed, you don't see it at all. When it's open, you just see the edges of the teeth. It's fairly straight up the line of stitches too, but not perfect. Here's a goofy picture I took of myself wearing it:



I'll get another picture of me wearing it sometime soon.

Friday night I saw this movie:



I liked it, but didn't love it. It's very well put together and the acting is really good. I'm a huge Ralph Fiennes fan and he does a great job here. He starts as your typical, tightly controlled Englishman and ends up being passionate and making the ultimate sacrifice for love. He is a diplomat in Africa and his wife is an activist, working in the medical field with the indigenous population. The film follows Fiennes' investigation into his wife's death after she starts looking into the pharmaceutical industry's activities in Africa. The mystery isn't all that surprising, but it is interesting. Definitely worth seeing.

Since I finished up TWO big projects, I decided to work on some small stuff. I knit up a basic garter stitch scarf with the Great Adirondack Fluff I bought a couple of months ago:



I first came across this yarn in 1998 when I was on vacation on Cape Cod. I bought a skein for a friend and knit her up the scarf during the trip, so it was a nice souvenir of our time together. I bought another skein for myself later because I fell in love with how soft and lovely this yarn is. After good wear, last winter it started looking pretty matted and ratty. So, I decided I needed a new one. Here's another incredibly goofy picture I took of myself wearing the scarf:



It was the end of the day, so I guess that's why my face is so incredibly shiny. I know it looks weird, but I like that I captured my very bad habit of looking over the top of my glasses.

I'll fill you in with the rest of my weekend later. I gotta get going to court for a hearing.